5/14/10

QOTD #10

"People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well. That's my burden, I guess"-Dexter, Dexter

Dexter is another show I have started watching lately, and while it is a little strange, I have loved it. I am just into season two (watching it on Netflix since it is a Showtime show), and I have found it pretty entertaining. Basically, Dexter is a blood spatter analyst for the Miami Metro Police Department, but he is also a serial killer of bad guys who are not caught by the police. Again, the story is much more in depth, but I will not bore people with the details here. I do suggest watching it, though.

I felt this quote not only summarized Dexter's character well, but I like how it encompasses how anyone can feel on occasion. You never know what is really going on with someone or who they truly are. No, I am not a Student Affairs professional by day and a killer by night, but having to navigate some recent events, I have paid more attention to how delicate human interactions can be.

We often hide things from others for more reasons than we can count. Sometimes hiding is a good thing, sometimes not. What I try to take away from it is you never know what is occurring behind someone's "Hey, how's it goin'?" and a smile. Those of us who work with students everyday perhaps are more sensitive to this concept. However, we still can easily fall into our own worlds without looking behind the "fake" interactions.

Hopefully we have those we do not have to be fake around. As I have written about earlier this week, you find those who can support you...no matter who you truly are. Just a thought as my interesting week comes to an end.

1 comment:

  1. love me some Dexter.

    However, sometimes I think about that maybe people are hiding stuff for a reason.

    I think you're right though.

    ReplyDelete