5/12/10

QOTD #8

"You're such a star here at DSA Idol." -Julie

Today was our annual Division of Student Affairs award banquet, and like any good student affairs group, we used pop culture to create a themed event: DSA Idol. To take this theme to its full potential, the coordinators sent out a casting call for talent in the division to perform for the "judges" during the event. Who answered the call? The Student Activities Center.

Except...wait for it...we were the only ones to do it! So, my office opened the show this afternoon with an original number set to familiar lyrics thanks to the creative genius of our director. I have to take a moment here to give a little history. These lyrics were actually created for our retreat last August. Then, a few weeks ago, the office performed for our Union Appreciation Banquet because the Union wanted to showcase the local talent.

However, I was unfortunately out of town for my sister's wedding during that event and was not able to join in the fun. (I did hear many stories and watched what I could of a video since they experienced a blackout during the event. Good times.) But I work with caring colleagues who wanted to make sure I did not feel left out. Hence, we were offered up to perform today as well.

So this morning, I practiced the song for the first time, and we took the stage at 2:00. My opinion? We rocked it! Okay, I am sure to others we may have been less than par...and none of us really wanted to do it at first...but I actually ended up having a good time. Although I am frightened of future videos surfacing. Yikes.

I do have to admit that I am grateful to work somewhere that we do not take ourselves too seriously all the time, and at least we had the guts to do it in front of the entire division. Good for us. Okay, really, it was fun.

Wondering what we sang? I know you are on the edge of your seat. So here it is. Original lyrics written by the Student Activities Director of FSU and set to the tune of "The Joker" by the Steve Miller Band:

Some people call us Student Activities
Some call us the people that just plan fun
But some people call us mentors
Cause we speak on the importance of getting involved

Other staff talk about us, baby
Say we're working too long, working too long
Well, don't you worry about us baby, don't worry
'Cause we like being here, right here, all night long

Cause I'm a mentor
An educator
I'm a planner
A collaborator
Without us, how would campus run?

I'm a networker
An advisor
And a risk management expert
'Cause we don't want to hurt no one
Woo ooo, Woo ooo

(repeat chorus)

Rockin', right? So Julie (one of our awesome Higher Ed grad students) helped put on this event, and afterward encouraged me with her quote above. Look for our EP to drop next fall.

Additional Josh Dino-Quote of the Day:
"Really LOST t
hat was a dumb episode, the theory I heard about them being dinosaurs now sounds cool."

This was his response after last nights episode. And if you watch LOST, you will understand why this is appropriate. If not, you can infer how disappointed fans were last night. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Quote of the day in Kelly's Blog... Check THAT off the bucket list!!

    But for the record, you totally rocked it. just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, you know that was at the top of your list...and thanks. ;-)

    ReplyDelete