5/27/10

QOTD #19

"Put a ring on it." -Billy, today at lunch

I have many reasons why Billy and I are friends. However, one of the reasons at the top of the list (if not the #1) is his timing of snarky comments. Most often he is somewhat reserved, contributes to conversation where he needs to, and is an all around nice person. Yet on occasion, he comes out with a comment like today's where he floors us all, and he either gets two points or way crosses the line. Today, he got two points. Mike has even dubbed him the "Joke Assassin - One Shot, One Kill."

The conversation: We were having lunch at Tijuana Flats (yum) and were discussing a possible road trip up to my hometown. Billy and I started trying to get Mike in on the trip. One of the enticements for Mike, who hates long car trips, was the prospect of meeting my family. (Suze, I expect a comment of what meeting my family means.) Mike's statement was something along the lines of how he wanted to meet my parents, to which Billy seamlessly and shamelessly replies, "Put a ring on it," as he continues to enjoy his flautas.

We all (including Selby and Lori who were with us as well) LOST IT. The effect of this may not be as great for anyone who does not know Billy well, but just know that it was perfect. We laughed for a good five minutes before we could move past it. Good times. (I suppose I should also explain here for anyone who does not know us well, Mike and I are often (read: always) mistaken for dating because we are pretty ridiculous together, and this is quite often the subject of such jokes.)

Afterward I started to think about how much I love all my friends, even when (maybe especially when) they are snarky. I see it as a measure of the level of comfort people have with each other. I think of anyone I have considered a good friend, especially in groups of friends, and I know I can pinpoint numerous conversations like the one today with all of them. You learn to laugh at yourself. You learn to not be so serious. You learn much about yourself. And besides, if your friends can't rip on you, who can? Love you guys!

4 comments:

  1. Ah snark... I am truly comfortable with you. And your friends, Kel. Now let's see, what can I say about a trip to Rock-thrill? And meeting your family? I'm assuming that this is not a holiday weekend so it won't be the complete extended family right? So no pure bred poodles? Nor will it encompass a midnight visit to the Pineville Mall? (Perhaps Walmart customers could be used as a substitute there.)

    Truly, though, your family is a delight and there is no better way to understand and appreciate all the little things that make you you than to meet them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming through, Suze...love it. ;-) Too bad they can't experience Thanksgiving...that did add a whole new level to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete