5/17/10

QOTD #11

"She spent her weekend making red velvet pancakes and didn't tell anyone."-Billy

I am actually paraphrasing here, but earlier today when walking to Starbucks and talking about what we all did this weekend, fellow blogger Billy made it pretty clear he was not pleased that I made red velvet pancakes (with whipped cream cheese and butter pecan syrup) and did not invite him to partake in the meal. 1) This makes me laugh. 2) They were delicious. 3) I love the way we revolve around food.

To back up a little bit here, another fellow blogger, Amber, posted the recipe on her Facebook page a few days ago (which you can find here: http://www.thebreakfastcook.com/931/red-velvet-pancakes). If you know me, you know I love red velvet cake. Period. Give me a reason to have it for breakfast? Uh...okay! So on my weekend trip to Publix, I bought everything I needed to make them, and they were pretty tasty (if I do say so myself).

After I made them, I immediately took a picture to post and share:

YUM

While I was excited to make the pancakes, what I really think about with this quote is how much food brings people together. I think about having people over to cookout, going out to lunch with colleagues and friends, going out to dinner, cooking with or for someone...so much of our relationships surround food. In particular, I think about grad school and the cookbook we created that I love so much. It makes me miss Moss Ave (where I lived my second year with two friends and next door to three other friends), and having six to ten (occasionally more, but more of those times turned into potlucks) people at any given moment to cook for and with and to enjoy food. I still have random phone calls on how to make my smoked Gouda mashed potatoes, and reference my friends for something new to cook for an event.

I find cooking therapeutic. I love to try new things. I enjoy sharing ideas. I cherish spending time with good people. All of this can come back to food. So, Billy, I am sorry I did not make the red velvet pancakes for you. However, it looks like I will have to have everyone over for brunch soon. Mimosas anyone?

Sidenote: If you decided to go out and make these, I recommend less cinnamon and possibly a little more cocoa in the pancake mix. It also makes about 15 good-sized pancakes, which is more than enough sweetness. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I was inspired by your pancake-making, so I made vanilla flavored pancakes with chocolate chips. They were great, although yours may have been just a tad bit tastier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not exactly a quote I want to be remembered for, but at least I made the QOTD. You forgot to add that I offered to bring the OJ and champaigne had I been invited, so I can't totally look like the whinny, selfish guy here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray! The cookbook got a mention! There are so many amazing recipes in that thing... I feel like we should do an update for all the recipes we've learned in our new locales. Like red velvet pancakes for you and brisket for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regina: those sound delicious

    Billy: true, I didn't mean to make you sound that way :-)

    Suze: Agreed! I think we could probably add many more to it at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, Will you send some brisket my way?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummmm I know I'm a little late to the game... but want to make me red velvet pancakes with whipped cream???

    ReplyDelete